Follow these steps to enable expanded keyboard support for this functionality:
1. Tap near the clock
2. Tap the Settings gear icon in the menu that appears
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the Settings menu and click Advanced
4. Scroll down to the Language and input section and select the arrow next Inputs
5. Tap + input methods AND Show Input options in the shelf so that you can switch between keyboards on your home screen
6. Select the checkbox next to English (US) with International keyboard (or whichever keyboard your teacher prefers) and press Add
7. Select the back arrow next to Inputs
8. Tap the new keyboard option called English (US) International Keyboard (you should see a green ENABLED notifier for that keyboard when you select it)
9. Notice the change from "US" to "IN". When you select it you will see which keyboard is in use.
Hold down the right ALT (the ALT on the right side of the keyboard) and press a, e, i, o, u, or n to create Spanish characters.